5 High-Quality, Engaging Whole-Class Guided Reading Lessons based on Chapter 1 of ‘The Murderer’s Ape’ by Jakob Wegelius. Suitable for for Year 5 or 6 and covering all National Curriculum Reading Domains.
This extensive resource includes:
- 50 MS PowerPoint presentation slides for in-school live lessons with extensive notes, video demonstrations and a quick start video guide for teachers with an overview of the lessons
- SAT-style questions, mark schemes and additional activity sheets - 13 document files.
- Link to the freely available extract which the lesson are based on so you do not need to purchase the text!
- There are modelled questions with video demonstrations showing you exactly how to model them.
Overview of lessons:
- Lesson 1: reading skills discussion; video warm-up activity on retrieval , inference and author’s choice with accompanying worksheet; opening lines activity; close reading activity and accompanying worksheet; glossary; plenary.
- Lesson 2: planting questions activity; retrieval success criteria and model question with video demo on how to model; glossary; retrieval questions and answers with screens to support marking together.
- Lesson 3: re-cap activity focused on retrieval and inference; inference success criteria and model question with demo video on how to model the question; mixed inference and retrieval questions and answers with slides to support marking together.
- Lesson 4: match question to reading skill activity; prediction activity; glossary; questions focused on retrieval, vocabulary and summarising with answers and sides to support marking together.
- Lesson 5: guess the title activity; events time line activity; analyse author’s choices activity with accompanying extract and notes to support teaching; questions based on inference, author’s viewpoint and prediction with answers and slides to support marking together; plenary to review lesson 1 close reading findings. Extension activities: write a postcard; reflect on intertextual connections using ‘Tell Me’ questions.
Do you need to provide work for home learners? This series of lessons is also available as 5 fully interactive home /remote/blended learning hyperdoc MS PowerPoint presentations, embedded with audio, video and website links to allow children to access the exact same lessons independently at home! Combine these in-school lessons with the hyperdocs in a bundle and save money.
Not sure what a hyperdoc is? Watch a video demo here.
Five Y5/6 Guided Reading Lessons: The Murderer's Ape